If you’re considering a career as a nurse, physicians assistant, or doctor, VACorps offers an excellent selection of medical internships in South Africa. As a medical intern in our program, you will be working alongside qualified healthcare professionals at one of community healthcare clinics or hospitals. South Africa faces many serious healthcare issues, including high rates of HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis – especially among women and young children. There is a high demand for healthcare in low-income areas of the city and many public hospitals and clinics lack appropriate funding and access to primary care. The overall experience will give you first-hand access to South Africa’s public healthcare system and will teach you a wide-range of skills that you’ll carry with you for a lifetime.
Why you should consider a medical internship through VACorps
Whether you are looking to gain experience shadowing doctors and other healthcare professionals in a clinic or hospital, or an internship that involves a specialised field such as dentistry, paediatrics, or epidemiology, we will place you at a site where you will receive an experience that is relevant to your professional objectives.
An international medical internship will greatly enhance your professional resume and many of our alumni have been accepted to medical and PA schools after having completed their internships with VACorps.
- Gain familiarity with South Africa’s healthcare system
- Gain a unique understanding of the HIV/AIDS and TB epidemic in South Africa
- Shadow and interact with established professionals and gain resume-boosting clinic hours
- Work directly with the communities that you will be serving during your internship experience
- Familiarise yourself with various medical procedures and treatments in trauma, infectious disease, maternity, paediatrics, ortho, and more!
- Discover a new culture and the health-related challenges South Africans face daily.
Contact us today to discover how you can participate in a medical internship in Cape Town that will provide you with an introduction to a unique healthcare system in an African country.