Jobs at International Organization for Migration (IOM).
Jobs at International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Jobs in NGO, Non-Profit Associations, Jobs at International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. With 165 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries.
- Open Jobs
- Method of Application
Reporting and Communication Intern
- Under the overall supervision and management of the Senior Programme Coordinator/HoSO (Community Stabilization) and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (Monitoring, Evaluation and Communications), the Reporting and Communications intern will support in reviewing and providing inputs to all communications materials developed under the unit as well as provide support in informal donor reporting.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The core duties shall include the following:
- Assist in the drafting of monthly, quarterly and interim narrative reports detailing activities and successes/challenges in close collaboration with the M&E and Program units.
- Assist in the coordination of Community-Stabilization information collection to maintain consistency and coherence across projects and ensure that information collection processes and the overall information management activities including encoding, storing and transfer of data and analysis is conducted.
- Participate in strengthening the existing communication strategy across projects.
- Provide assistance in the preparation and generation of information products and support information sharing and dissemination through all relevant channels.
- Write success stories and lessons learned narratives/recommendations for review by the M&E Officer before publication.
- Support on external communications exercises undertaken by the unit and coordinate with IOM Somalia Media/Communications unit on internal products to be developed for the Community Stabilization unit.
- Draft required guidance materials and presentations for the unit.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Training Components and Learning Elements
- The Intern will gain on-site experience in working in an international multicultural environment, within the United Nations system.
- The Intern will gain a better understanding of IOM’s work, as an inter-governmental
- organization in the field of migration and sustainable development, incl. cooperation with the government partners and UN agencies.
- The Intern will acquire technical knowledge in reporting, development of diverse communications products and environmental and Community Stabilization -based programming.
- The Intern can will be able to access relevant online training courses at the disposal of all IOM staff.
- The Intern will have the possibility to interact with the multi-stakeholder constituents, as well as with the internal and external partners involved in organization and implementation of capacity building communications and knowledge sharing activities.
- University degree or/and master’s degree in Political or Social Science, English language, Communications, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution
- Experience in Project Development and Reporting;
- Experience in writing and editing information materials and reports;
- Experience in operational activities both in humanitarian and development sector; and
- Work experience in the region is an advantage
- General knowledge of MS (ex. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, etc.)
- Digital literacy and demonstrated knowledge of information technology in Adobe Creative Cloud: InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop is an advantage
Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Call for application number (CFA) Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monitoring and Research Officer (P1)
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Monitor and support aspects of the implementation of activities under the Saameynta Joint Programme, in close collaboration with the Durable Solutions team.
- Work closely with the project management team, local authorities, communities and partners in monitoring the effectiveness of programme activities and make recommendations to improve the participation of Displacement Affected Communities (DACs) in public affairs as full citizens with equal rights to make independent planning decisions that advance their access to services and livelihoods.
- Implement data collection methodologies, participate in surveys and other monitoring activities, and test methodologies and templates for data collection.
- Participate in research activities to feed into the learning agenda of the Saameynta joint programme.
- Collect and compile technical information to support Local Authorities, Durable Solutions and Consortium members to plan, organize and implement local and international fora with donors, diaspora and private sector to present and disseminate research.
- Upon instruction, provide specific inputs for the preparation of donor reports, project updates and briefs in close coordination with the Programme Coordinator (Saameynta Joint Programme)
- and the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer.
- Assist with the preparation and execution of internal and external meetings with donor, partners, and government (drafting the agenda, taking minutes, collecting action points, etc.). In close coordination with and guidance from the Communications Officer and the Regional Office and Headquarters communications teams, draft specific components or elements of materials to contribute to communications and visibility related activities for the Mission.
- Provide administrative support for the Programme Coordinator and other Programme Officers.
- Undertake duty travel, as required, to assist with the coordination of activities.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, International Relations, and Business or Public Administration, Law or other related fields from an accredited academic institution; or
- Bachelor’s degree in the above-mentioned fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the preparation and editing of information materials, project proposals and/or reports;
- Experience in monitoring and reporting activities in alignment with donor’s/UN requirements;
- Experience in the application of IOM/UN rules, regulations and procedures;
- Experience in facilitating coordination and communication between internal operational teams, external partners, governments and/or donors;
- Experience in operational activities in humanitarian and/or development sector; and Work experience in the region is an advantage.
- Strong reporting, writing and research skills, preferably related to programme monitoring;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills;
- Knowledge of development of data collection tools and their administration;
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of diverse cultural and national backgrounds;
- In-depth knowledge of development and durable solutions context;
- Knowledge of Somali context an added advantage;
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming; and
- Knowledge of INGO and LGNO programming.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Swahili and Arabic is an advantage.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
- Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 20 September 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.